Postby Marlo » April 4th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Source: http://www.practicalcreativewriting.com ... exercises/

ONE
1. Who is coming round the corner?
2. What is their secret?
3. What are they carrying?

TWO
1. Why did Peter lose his temper with Joanna
2. Where did he go after he stormed out?
3. What happened to him when he got there?

THREE
1. Who has found something at the back of the wardrobe?
2. What have they found?
3. What will they do next?

FOUR
1. Who cheated John?
2. What did they cheat him at?
3. Will John do something?

FIVE
1. What building can you see Rose leaving?
2. What is she wearing?
3. Where is she going?

SIX
1. Why is Ian finding it difficult to steer the car?
2. Where is he going?
3. Who is there?

SEVEN
1. Where did the accident happen?
2. Who was hurt?
3. Who helped?

EIGHT
1. The view is blocked by?
2. Whose view is blocked?
3. If the view wasn’t blocked what would they see?

NINE
1. Who closes the window?
2. Why?
3. How old are they?

TEN
1. Who is Jenny?
2. How tall is she?
3. Why is she alone?

Please post all replies here as well as which challenge you're writing! (1 - 10)
OOC tags: #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Character Sheet
Banner Request Form | CLICK for examples of graphic work | Avatars
Marlo

IGN: Marlo
Lineage: Pace-Lokason
OOC: Aimee

Re: "10 Minute Writing Exercise"

Postby Liander » April 5th, 2015, 3:09 am

I used an RNG to pick which one I'd do. This is the link if anybody wants to do the same. I rolled 9, so here goes.

NINE
1. Who closes the window?
2. Why?
3. How old are they?

Johnny ran over to slam the window shut. It wouldn't close all the way at first, and the screams kept getting through. His nine year-old frame wasn't enough to close it. It always became stuck at that point, the rust and age of the old house showing through. Tears streamed down his face as he strained his tiny arms, until finally Jack came over, with that sad smile he always has these days, and finished the job for him.

Jack is fourteen now and the man of the house. At least, that's what Susan says. Johnny doesn't really care who's man of the house, so long as the monsters stay out.

"Can you close the blinds?" He asks of Jack, who nods and reaches above him to shut them.

If the blinds aren't closed, he'll watch all day. People he used to know, like the mailman, Aunt Margaret, and even Mr. Wong who would let him play with his big Dalmatian. He would watch the flesh rot from their faces as they shambled aimlessly around the neighborhood, moaning endlessly with hunger.

ETA: I didn't even realize what I did until just now. Challenge 9, the character is 9. Funny how something gets into your head. >.>
A I L I O S | A X I S
Liander

IGN: Liander
OOC: Justin

Postby Aziza » April 5th, 2015, 3:34 am

I used the RNG and got 10.
TEN
1. Who is Jenny?
2. How tall is she?
3. Why is she alone?

Jenny was only one of many that live in the large orphanage. She wasn't that little of a girl anymore, though, standing at nearly five and a half feet tall. It was only a little over average, really, but she felt tall for being so young. Thirteen was a difficult age to go through by yourself and she knew all about that. None of the other children came to visit her, none of them spoke to her anymore.

She couldn't blame them. Wanted to, but couldn't. None of them were surprising, none of them had anything new to say. Because she knew what they wanted before they even got close. Jenny could tell them what they wanted before they even knew themselves. So now they all avoided her. Even the staff didn't know how to deal with the things she'd say.

After the event with Mr. Davies, she would only leave her room to eat. Jenny had tried to tell them, tried to warn them, but they retreated from her words in terror and refused to give them any merit.

Two days later, Mr. Davies died in an explosion.

Now she was Little Miss Doomsday and avoided as though she were contagious. Hell, for all she knew, she was. If she didn't see these things, if she kept her mouth quiet about them... Would they have changed? Would Mr. Davies have lived?

It didn't matter.

All she wanted was a family, after all. Not this.. this.. whatever it was. And no new families had come by to see her in months. She overheard the staff telling one last year the story of poor Mr. Davies and how frightened Jenny had made the family.

She couldn't wait for eighteen to come so she could leave. Being alone, truly alone and unsurrounded, would be better than being in a crowd full of people that revile you.

One day.
R A S K O P H | VINCELYN | F U E R I
Take the fall and run to Heaven
#Girvert
Aziza

IGN: Aziza Laredo
Lineage: Fueri-Raskoph
OOC: Rachel

Postby Marlo » October 10th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Six

1. Why is Ian finding it difficult to steer the car?
2. Where is he going?
3. Who is there?

"I said drive faster!" the man in the passenger seat yelled. Ian didn't perform well under pressure, something that he and his wife dealt with in the bedroom. Sweat ran down his brow and his hands shook on the steering wheel. Despite the packed freeway, he zoomed past cars as fast as he could, even if it wasn't safe.

"Faster!" the masked man yelled. His thumb flicked over the back of the gun until it clicked. "Or it's your wife's brains all over the back windshield!" the man demanded.

"I am!" Ian croaked. "I'm going as fast as I can! Please!" he cried out, desperately grabbing a glance of his crying wife and child in the backseat. He wanted to tell her that he loved her, that the fight they had this morning didn't matter, that nothing mattered except their family, but he choked on his own words.

The destination had to have been miles from where they were, practically land-locked on the freeway. All it took was one more glance to his wife, an apology between the two of them and then they crashed into the back of an eighteen wheeler. It wasn't what they had planned on that day they exchanged vows, but it was their own.
OOC tags: #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Character Sheet
Banner Request Form | CLICK for examples of graphic work | Avatars
Marlo

IGN: Marlo
Lineage: Pace-Lokason
OOC: Aimee

Return to The Writing Center