S**t Your Characters Say

S**t Your Characters Say

Postby Marlo » April 4th, 2015, 6:23 pm

I feel like I'm really reaching out on a limb here, but over the years of writing in an RP community and talking to other writers, I've come to find this is more common than I originally thought. So let me just go ahead and get this out there, I definitely talk to my characters in my head. I argue with them, mostly. :lol:

Yes, I feel incredibly insane like, most of my life, but whatever. There it is. In lieu of that, I thought it would be kind of fun to have a pseudo-writing thread where we post things that our characters say to us, or vice versa. Please tell me if this is too much. I was just talking to Betsy and it came up in conversation and I thought, "What a funny idea to see how other people are with their characters!" Let me tell you, Marlo and I spend our 'bonding time' arguing. Seriously. Every conversation is:

Marlo: i just…
Me: marlo no. don't do the thing
Marlo: marlo yes
Me: plz no
Marlo: *does the thing*
Me: OH MY GOD

I read an article about Anne Rice where she talked about how she ALSO talks to her characters, that she had to wrestle Lestat to the ground to get him to talk and tell her more of his story so she could write her newest novel. I just… I love that. So I thought we, as the writers, could share the experiences we've had with our characters.
OOC tags: #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Character Sheet
Banner Request Form | CLICK for examples of graphic work | Avatars
Marlo

IGN: Marlo
Lineage: Pace-Lokason
OOC: Aimee

Re: S**t Your Characters Say

Postby ophelia » April 4th, 2015, 6:36 pm

I do this with ophelia pretty regularly and then end up sitting around laughing like an idiot. Alone. In a dark room. Until I get caught and asked if I'm high

Me: okay, we're going to do this now because you've just figured out how to work the phone properly
ophelia: To the TWEETERS to make ALL THE TWATS
Me: No, you aren't going to call Twitter tweeter and tweets twats
ophelia: But I like twats
Me: I quit.
| |A G R I P P A| |
| |L O K A S O N| |
ophelia

IGN: ophelia
Lineage: Lokason-Agrippa

Postby Leah » April 4th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Aimee, you are so not alone! I do this all the time! And so glad to find out it isn't just me. <.<
Mostly I let her do pretty much whatever she wants, and it ends up like this:

Me: REALLY?!
Leah: .... Whoops.
Me: You're a fucking idiot, you know that?
Leah: Yup. I had to do it though. Couldn't help myself.
Me: Yeah, yeah. I know. You're still an idiot though.
#WritersAnonymous || #CAPSLOCKCLUB
Tranquil as a forest || Who the fuck are you? || But on fire within
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
Leah

IGN: Leah Ann
OOC: Mariah

Postby Marlo » April 4th, 2015, 6:40 pm

ophelia wrote:I do this with ophelia pretty regularly and then end up sitting around laughing like an idiot. Alone. In a dark room. Until I get caught and asked if I'm high

Me: okay, we're going to do this now because you've just figured out how to work the phone properly
ophelia: To the TWEETERS to make ALL THE TWATS
Me: No, you aren't going to call Twitter tweeter and tweets twats
ophelia: But I like twats
Me: I quit.

OH MY GOD. I spit on my screen. Seriously. help

ETA:

Leah wrote:Aimee, you are so not alone! I do this all the time! And so glad to find out it isn't just me. <.<
Mostly I let her do pretty much whatever she wants, and it ends up like this:

Me: REALLY?!
Leah: .... Whoops.
Me: You're a fucking idiot, you know that?
Leah: Yup. I had to do it though. Couldn't help myself.
Me: Yeah, yeah. I know. You're still an idiot though.

save me. 911. help. life alert. something
Marlo

Postby Jaida » April 4th, 2015, 6:42 pm

You know I talk to my characters all of the time. It's just how I work. Part of my writing method, as I've tried to explain to Aimee (with or without any clarity whatsoever, I'm not sure how much sense it makes) is... 'stitching' characters to me, in a way. As an INFJ, I am a really emotionally driven person. My sense of empathy is ridiculous. So I have to 'feel' my characters before I can get anything done with them. I have to be invested in my characters (and let me tell you, that is a toll when you have 200+ characters to be invested in.) I have to connect, so I stitch some part of them to a part of myself, strictly metaphorically speaking. Until I become invested, I don't hear anything from them.

So just last night, I was telling Aimee how I was doing 'role call' for my characters to be written for this writing contest. It went like:

Me: Chien?
Chien: Here.
Me: Rose?
Rose: Hi. :)
Me: Tatyn? -- Shit, why did I even ask.
Tatyn: :lol:
Me: Jaida?
Jaida: Do we really have to look into that?'
Me: Yes. Yes we do. -- Jumaane? Come back from the dead, baby.
Jaida: Don't call him that.
Me: I'll call him what I want!

For those that do not know, Jumaane is Jaida's Maker and I've been excited to write her vampire life before coming to RBC. Now I finally have the kick in the rear I needed to do that!
#WritersAnonymous | Banner by my LP!
Jaida

IGN: Jaida
OOC: Jamie

Postby Leah » April 4th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Jaida wrote:You know I talk to my characters all of the time. It's just how I work. Part of my writing method, as I've tried to explain to Aimee (with or without any clarity whatsoever, I'm not sure how much sense it makes) is... 'stitching' characters to me, in a way. As an INFJ, I am a really emotionally driven person. My sense of empathy is ridiculous. So I have to 'feel' my characters before I can get anything done with them. I have to be invested in my characters (and let me tell you, that is a toll when you have 200+ characters to be invested in.) I have to connect, so I stitch some part of them to a part of myself, strictly metaphorically speaking. Until I become invested, I don't hear anything from them.

This. Explanation. Yes.
Perf.
Thank you.
I now have a way of explaining it to people without sounding like a nutjob.
My hero.
#WritersAnonymous || #CAPSLOCKCLUB
Tranquil as a forest || Who the fuck are you? || But on fire within
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
Leah

IGN: Leah Ann
OOC: Mariah

Postby Elizabeth » April 4th, 2015, 7:51 pm

HAHAHA... I love this. Srsly. I have been mulling over pulling Uncle Frank out for a while but I feel so dirty when I write him.

Elizabeth

IGN: Elizabeth
Lineage: de Bouillon

Postby Marlo » April 4th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Elizabeth wrote:HAHAHA... I love this. Srsly. I have been mulling over pulling Uncle Frank out for a while but I feel so dirty when I write him.

?! Who is Uncle Frank?! and saying that he makes you feel dirty when you write him only makes me want to know that much more. omg.
Marlo

Postby Elizabeth » April 4th, 2015, 7:59 pm

He's a narcissistic, ego maniac.

His introduction to the city. >.>

http://bite.thorngale.net/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=5722&p=154409#p154409

Elizabeth

Postby Marlo » April 4th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Elizabeth wrote:He's a narcissistic, ego maniac.

His introduction to the city. >.>

http://bite.thorngale.net/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=5722&p=154409#p154409

OH… MY… GOD…

MARLO EVEN REPLIED TO THIS.
Marlo

Postby Elizabeth » April 4th, 2015, 8:11 pm

I have played out a ton of rp's with him in my head, but.... lawd.... crawling into that skin just is.... creepy. :lol:

Elizabeth

Postby Marlo » April 4th, 2015, 8:14 pm

WELL, if it tickles your fancy anytime soon, PLEASE write something about him. I would love to read it. Oh my god. I'm still laughing, honestly. JEEZE.
Marlo

Postby Orgasmerilla » April 4th, 2015, 10:16 pm

Jaida wrote:You know I talk to my characters all of the time. It's just how I work. Part of my writing method, as I've tried to explain to Aimee (with or without any clarity whatsoever, I'm not sure how much sense it makes) is... 'stitching' characters to me, in a way. As an INFJ, I am a really emotionally driven person. My sense of empathy is ridiculous. So I have to 'feel' my characters before I can get anything done with them. I have to be invested in my characters (and let me tell you, that is a toll when you have 200+ characters to be invested in.) I have to connect, so I stitch some part of them to a part of myself, strictly metaphorically speaking. Until I become invested, I don't hear anything from them.

This is a perfect description! I talk to my character's all the time. That's how Gaz' crew developed their own personalities over the years until they spilled onto a page.
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night. Anyplace it goes is right. Goes far, flies near. To the stars away from here.
Well you don't know what we can find. Why don't you come with me on a magic carpet ride.
Orgasmerilla

IGN: Orgasmerilla
Lineage: D'dary

Postby Aziza » April 5th, 2015, 1:28 am

I argue with Aziza -all the time-. >.>

I mean, I know the whole 'you're the writer, so you control the story' line, but honestly, after a while, it takes on a mind of its own, your characters develop patterns all by themselves and I'm often surprised by what some of them are willing (even wanting) to do.

I often feel that if Aziza were ever real, she'd kill me. >.>
House of Caedis
Character Sheet | #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Journal

Aziza

IGN: Aziza Laredo
Lineage: Caedis
OOC: Rachel

Postby Marlo » April 5th, 2015, 1:32 am

Aziza wrote:I argue with Aziza -all the time-. >.>

I mean, I know the whole 'you're the writer, so you control the story' line, but honestly, after a while, it takes on a mind of its own, your characters develop patterns all by themselves and I'm often surprised by what some of them are willing (even wanting) to do.

I have to "argue" that sentence for a second.

Just… I never control anything my characters do. I literally watch, like it's a movie, and type out what they do or say. I feel like if I controlled the story any, by making them "do the right thing" or WHATEVER it would be, then I would be crossing and interfering with the character. They come to me. They show me their personality and I have absolutely no involvement. They say, "My face looks kind of like this. I'm this old. My name is this. I've done this over my life, now sit down and shut up. I'm driving this train." And depending on gender I say, "Yes ma'am. :shock: " or "Yes sir. :shock: "

I feel like there are probably certain writers who DO write by controlling everything. They plan. They say, "This is the story I want to see and I'm going to see it happen." but that is not me. I want to see everything. The good, the bad and the SERIOUSLY OMG ugly. (personally, my favorites are the villains. what can i say? a good megalomanic really gets me going, if you know what I mean? ;) )
Marlo

Postby Jaida » April 5th, 2015, 1:35 am

I relate to that so hard. :lol: I actually had a dream that Bri, Amanda, Aimee and I all went on a road trip to meet our characters and almost all of them just stared at us like we were stupid.
#WritersAnonymous | Banner by my LP!
Jaida

IGN: Jaida
OOC: Jamie

Postby Reyna » April 5th, 2015, 1:36 am

I have very similar conversations with Reyna that you do with Marlo, Aimee. >.>

Reyna: I'm gonna do the thing
Me: Ho don't do it
Reyna does the thing.
Me: Oh my god.
#WritersAnonymous | Banner by virgo / Avi by Aimee | #CAPSLOCKCLUB
House Agrippa | melanctha | The Republic
character sheet
Reyna

IGN: Reyna
Lineage: Agrippa-Lokason
OOC: Andy

Postby Aziza » April 5th, 2015, 1:39 am

Marlo wrote:

I have to "argue" that sentence for a second.

Just… I never control anything my characters do. I literally watch, like it's a movie, and type out what they do or say. I feel like if I controlled the story any, by making them "do the right thing" or WHATEVER it would be, then I would be crossing and interfering with the character. They come to me. They show me their personality and I have absolutely no involvement. They say, "My face looks kind of like this. I'm this old. My name is this. I've done this over my life, now sit down and shut up. I'm driving this train." And depending on gender I say, "Yes ma'am. :shock: " or "Yes sir. :shock: "

I feel like there are probably certain writers who DO write by controlling everything. They plan. They say, "This is the story I want to see and I'm going to see it happen." but that is not me. I want to see everything. The good, the bad and the SERIOUSLY OMG ugly. (personally, my favorites are the villains. what can i say? a good megalomanic really gets me going, if you know what I mean? ;) )

I completely agree!!

I actually am very cruel to my characters often times just to see how they'd handle it. o.o I'm a mean writer. Lol.

But there are certain storylines I want to happen, but I don't plan out every detail, more like... "Hey, I want event a and b to happen." but then HOW it happens is completely random. But more often than not, I'm writing in the moment without any planning ahead of time.

That's just how I roll. xD

Jaida wrote:I relate to that so hard. :lol: I actually had a dream that Bri, Amanda, Aimee and I all went on a road trip to meet our characters and almost all of them just stared at us like we were stupid.

OMG!

That's very similar to a dream I had involving Aziza. Except, in the dream, -I- was the character, RB was real, all our vampire (or other) characters were real, and I was on the menu. >.>
House of Caedis
Character Sheet | #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Journal

Aziza

IGN: Aziza Laredo
Lineage: Caedis
OOC: Rachel

Postby Elizabeth » April 5th, 2015, 1:40 am

Jaida wrote:

I relate to that so hard. :lol: I actually had a dream that Bri, Amanda, Aimee and I all went on a road trip to meet our characters and almost all of them just stared at us like we were stupid.

THIS made me laugh so hard. Brilliant. Kind of the other way around with me. I think Elizabeth would stand with her mouth open the first time I started up on one of my trucker swearing rants.

Elizabeth

Postby Marlo » April 5th, 2015, 1:46 am

Reyna wrote:I have very similar conversations with Reyna that you do with Marlo, Aimee. >.>

Reyna: I'm gonna do the thing
Me: Ho don't do it
Reyna does the thing.
Me: Oh my god.

omg. i spit. em. 911

Aziza wrote:I completely agree!!

I actually am very cruel to my characters often times just to see how they'd handle it. o.o I'm a mean writer. Lol.

But there are certain storylines I want to happen, but I don't plan out every detail, more like... "Hey, I want event a and b to happen." but then HOW it happens is completely random. But more often than not, I'm writing in the moment without any planning ahead of time.

That's just how I roll. xD

YES! Okay! Yes, this! Exactly. hell yes. HELL. YES. |:

Jaida wrote:I relate to that so hard. :lol: I actually had a dream that Bri, Amanda, Aimee and I all went on a road trip to meet our characters and almost all of them just stared at us like we were stupid.

OR HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU DREAM OF THE SEXIEST CHARACTER ON THE PLANET AND HE'S CARRYING YOU AROUND AND YOU THINK, "OMG. I'M ABOUT TO GET LAID IN MY DREAM. FINALLY." AND THEN YOU REALIZE YOU'RE A BABY. AND HE LOVES YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE HIS CHILD AND NOT ABOUT TO HAVE SEX. worst. twist. ever.
Marlo

Next

Return to The Writing Center