Emergency Writers Pack

Emergency Writers Pack

Postby Nemesis » April 23rd, 2015, 12:32 pm

HAI!

So, I have this nifty deck of cards for writers, called the ‘Writers Emergency Pack’, by John August. It’s a deck of cards with helpful tools with characters, plots, subplots and generally making you think outside the box in your story development.
I thought these particular 26 cards would be useful and helpful for anyone who needs a different way of looking at things in their story.

If ya'll like them, I'll take the time to type up the other 26 more detailed cards.

Enjoy.

1. Cause and Effect: Actions have consequences. How can the next few events result because of something your hero does?

2. Fight the Giant: Your hero will have to face his/her adversary at some point. Why not right now?

3. Talk it Out: If your hero and the antagonist had an honest discussion, what would they say to each other?

4. Not My Job: Give your hero new responsibilities, including a chance to prove him/herself.

5. Narrator: Imagine your story as told by an omniscient narrator. What would Morgan Freeman say?

6. Every Villain is a Hero: Your antagonist probably thinks he’s the good guy. Imagine the story from his perspective.

7. Move Ahead Three Spaces: What would happen if you skipped over the next few scenes/days/years?

8. Stop Talking: Actions speak louder than words. If your characters couldn’t talk, what would they do?

9. Change Relationships: Consider other ways your characters could be related, both now and in the past.

10. Standard Procedures: What if this happened all the time? Is your hero writing the rules, or breaking them?

11. Puny Humans: Sometimes, it really is the end of the world. How would your story change if the stakes were cataclysmic?

12. Stack of Needles: Too much can be worse than too little. Overwhelm your hero with more than he/she can handle.

13. Kill the Hero: If your hero died right now, what would happen next? Who would keep up the mission?

14. Travel: A change of scenery can do wonders. Take your hero somewhere new.

15. Secret Society: Your hero stumbled upon a dark conspiracy - or perhaps he/she's been part of it all along.

16. Start the Clock: Deadlines force characters to make choices. How can it be now or never?

17. Magnify: Up close, everything looks different. Zoom in to focus on a moment, a detail or an emotion.

18. Switch Genres: Consider how your story might play out if it were in a completely different genre.

19. That was Lucky: Let your hero succeed through pure dumb luck. Just make sure the pendulum swings both ways.

20. What Would Indy Do?: The best heroes surprise us by taking actions we never saw coming.

21. Imposter: Someone is not who he seems. Perhaps it's an ally - or maybe it's the hero.

22. Zombie Attack: What would your hero do if confronted by a mindless, unstoppable horde?

23. Lose the Calvary: Take away the allies and support. Leave your hero to fend for him/herself.

24. That's not the Dragon: You thought that was the enemy? Nope. The real danger lies ahead.

25. Every Blessing is a Curse: You think it's better, but no, it's worse. Find ways to turn your hero's success against him/her.

26. A House is not A Home: There is no sanctuary. Things are deeply messed up, and have been for quite some time.
** Disasterpiece **

♥ ~ Archontohs ~ ♥

Fidelis ad Agrippa

Cuan - Agrippa
Nemesis

IGN: Nemesis
Lineage: none, I hate you all

Re: Emergency Writers Pack

Postby ophelia » April 23rd, 2015, 12:36 pm

I LOVE THIS!
| |A G R I P P A| |
| |L O K A S O N| |
ophelia

IGN: ophelia
Lineage: Lokason-Agrippa
OOC: M

Postby Marlo » April 23rd, 2015, 12:38 pm

ophelia wrote:I LOVE THIS!

SAME. Thank you so much for sharing! :D
OOC tags: #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Character Sheet
Banner Request Form | CLICK for examples of graphic work | Avatars
Marlo

IGN: Marlo
Lineage: Pace-Lokason
OOC: Aimee

Postby Tifereth » April 23rd, 2015, 12:52 pm

YAS
House of D'dary
The Crimson Bitch
Салат латук

banner by the utterly amazeballs miss nicola
Tifereth

IGN: Tifereth
Lineage: D'dary

Postby Amora » April 23rd, 2015, 1:27 pm

Want moar please >.> These are awesome.
Faeparrot
Amora

IGN: Amora
Lineage: Sykonra Demarchis
OOC: Elaine

Postby Nemesis » April 23rd, 2015, 1:43 pm

I'm glad you all like them, and I hope you find them as useful as I have.

I'll take some time this evening and type up the other 26 cards. They are more in-depth and detailed.

There's also a game with the deck, but I don't think it will work without having the actual cards in front of you. I'll look it over though.

:D
** Disasterpiece **

♥ ~ Archontohs ~ ♥

Fidelis ad Agrippa

Cuan - Agrippa
Nemesis

IGN: Nemesis
Lineage: none, I hate you all

Postby Orgasmerilla » April 23rd, 2015, 2:00 pm

ophelia wrote:I LOVE THIS!
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night. Anyplace it goes is right. Goes far, flies near. To the stars away from here.
Well you don't know what we can find. Why don't you come with me on a magic carpet ride.
Orgasmerilla

IGN: Orgasmerilla
Lineage: D'dary

Postby Pythias » April 23rd, 2015, 2:56 pm

Seriously good. Do y'all sticky things here? Because if so I nominate this to be stickied.
#CAPSLOCKCLUB || an RP anthem || Sprezzatura
Pythias

IGN: Pythias
Lineage: Lateralus
OOC: Blake

Return to The Writing Center