Writing Contest Ideas

Writing Contest Ideas

Postby Marlo » October 2nd, 2015, 10:20 am

As I was typing out the word of the day for today and remembered (because duh, Aimee) that it was October, I thought it might be fun to run a shorter writing contest for this month, with the theme of macabre and horror surrounding the pieces! I know I want to offer more graphics -- horror themed, halloween themed, of course! :lol: -- as prizes, which means the contest will be VERY short so that the winners can get a little use out of the graphics, if they so choose!

What do you guys think about that?
What about a possible due date this month?
Is anyone else interested in offering prizes?
Anyone interested in judging? (Five judging slots and I'm definitely going to be one.)
Questions, comments, concerns?!
OOC tags: #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Character Sheet
Banner Request Form | CLICK for examples of graphic work | Avatars
Marlo

IGN: Marlo
Lineage: Pace-Lokason
OOC: Aimee

Re: Writing Contest Ideas

Postby Pure » October 2nd, 2015, 11:25 am

I like it.

I also think a cool writing contest idea would be to have a bunch of people who want to submit, then once everyone who wants to do it is in, everyone gets paired off randomly (by some name generator thing or whatever) and you have to write an RP with that person. Might be kind of hard to plan out, but I think it would be fun and would encourage writing with others!
Pure

IGN: Pure

Postby Aria » October 2nd, 2015, 11:32 am

All about that horror! I'm so tempted to enter as a writer, but I think I'm still a little drained from the last contest. I COULD offer graphic prizes though.

ETA: Maybe a Seven Deadly Sins Challenge? Where you pick one of the sins that relates to your character somehow, I don't know.
Aria

IGN: SilentAria
OOC: Kim

Postby Marlo » October 2nd, 2015, 1:17 pm

PureSunshine wrote:I like it.

I also think a cool writing contest idea would be to have a bunch of people who want to submit, then once everyone who wants to do it is in, everyone gets paired off randomly (by some name generator thing or whatever) and you have to write an RP with that person. Might be kind of hard to plan out, but I think it would be fun and would encourage writing with others!

We do have something similar to this! It's just been slow going with people's schedules. But you can find the information in both of these threads!

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=1486

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=1537

Aria wrote:All about that horror! I'm so tempted to enter as a writer, but I think I'm still a little drained from the last contest. I COULD offer graphic prizes though.

ETA: Maybe a Seven Deadly Sins Challenge? Where you pick one of the sins that relates to your character somehow, I don't know.

I LOVE that idea! And yes! Just let me know if you want to offer graphic prizes too! The more the merrier, and I know everyone else will love that! :lol:

As far as the horror contest for this month, what about the due date being October 15th, 2015. No word count -- so however long or however short you want it to be. Whatever you write DOES NOT have to be grid related, just horror! Grammar and flow would still be "graded", no plagiarism (obviously) and it would just have to be something you wrote from today to the 15th.

So honestly, think about this guys: you could even enter a five word sentence, so long as it gets the scene and the feeling of horror/macabre across to the readers. I'm really anxious to see what everyone comes up with.

SO MAYBE… (sorry, I'm brainstorming as I'm typing this) you could choose the topic of freeform horror/macabre, which would be whatever you wanted, or stick to the them of what Kim said, the Seven Deadly Sins and relate that somehow to your writing.

THOUGHTS???

ETA: And only one entry per writer this time! Since it's so short.
Marlo

Postby Vamane » October 2nd, 2015, 6:05 pm

This idea is GREAT. I love horror stuff, and being able to write something non-grid or grid. The deadline sounds great too, and lack of word count and such. LET'S DO IT. TIME TO GET SPOOKY. :death: :bat: :jack: :crazy: :evillaugh:
Vamane

IGN: Vamane
OOC: Jason

Postby Jaida » October 4th, 2015, 12:02 am

I AM TOTALLY IN!!!!! Now that I have time off from work and I've been reading more (SERIOUSLY, GUYS, READ MORE IF YOU'RE HAVING ANY WRITER'S BLOCK), I feel like I am up to this challenge! I hope more people get involved!
#WritersAnonymous | Banner by my LP!
Jaida

IGN: Jaida
OOC: Jamie

Postby Marlo » October 4th, 2015, 12:41 pm

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=2374

Here is the thread for the October horror writing contest!

If you have more ideas for writing contests, please continue to post them in this thread!

xoxo
Marlo

Postby Marlo » October 6th, 2015, 4:06 pm

I'm still looking for two more interested people to help judge THIS contest! Judges cannot enter pieces, just to clarify. PM me if you're interested!
Marlo

Postby Marlo » October 13th, 2015, 4:02 pm

Marlo wrote:I'm still looking for two more interested people to help judge THIS contest! Judges cannot enter pieces, just to clarify. PM me if you're interested!

This is still valid!

And just to give everyone an idea, you have FIVE AND A HALF DAYS LEFT to enter into THIS contest!

The contest ends at 11:59 PM EST on October 18, 2015!
Marlo

Postby Marlo » October 15th, 2015, 10:49 am

Marlo wrote:
Marlo wrote:I'm still looking for two more interested people to help judge THIS contest! Judges cannot enter pieces, just to clarify. PM me if you're interested!

This is still valid!

And just to give everyone an idea, you have FOUR DAYS LEFT to enter into THIS contest!

The contest ends at 11:59 PM EST on October 18, 2015!

Just a reminder!
Marlo

Postby Marlo » October 18th, 2015, 11:24 am

Everyone has 12 HOURS LEFT to enter into THIS contest!

The contest ends TONIGHT at 11:59 PM EST! (October 18, 2015)
Marlo

Return to The Writing Center