Banner backgrounds

Banners, poems, anything you consider art. Model Listing (Face Claims).
Forum rules
Malkavian wrote:9. Banner and Avatars
Dimensions:
Banners may be a Maximum of 550 pixels wide x 200 pixels tall.
Avatars may be a maximum of 125 pixels wide x 200 pixels tall.
Standard Post Images may be a maximum of 550 pixels wide x 550 pixels tall.
Content:
Banners must be kept within the site’s PG-13 limitations according to the RP Rules/Guidelines.
File Size:
Dial up isn’t really an issue anymore, but please keep banners around 200kbs.

Banner backgrounds

Postby Kartik » April 21st, 2015, 10:37 pm

Okay I have been wondering this for YEARS upon years, and figured it's time to ask and see if I get an answer.
Where do all y'all banner makers get your backgrounds to place your or others models on? I've looked at Deviantart but have no idea what to search to get such grudge/mystical/dark backgrounds. Plus I'm just trying to get back into banner making.
Or do you all have some type of talented hands to make them? Cause they always look so, animated or fake, or hand made? :shock:
Why think seperately of this life and the next, when one is born from the last.

Saressa's Eternity
Kartik

IGN: Kartik

Re: Banner backgrounds

Postby Juliet » April 21st, 2015, 10:55 pm

I usually work with stock images so I get mine from the stock images section on deviantart or from photographer friends and then I just use photoshop to manipulate it however I want. But if you're looking for premade backgrounds, there's a ton of premade backgrounds that artists on dA make. dA is great for textures too! If you have tumblr, you can find a lot of resources that are for personal use as well as reference and learning material from the roleplayers there. :)
Juliet

IGN: Celine

Postby Vex » April 21st, 2015, 10:57 pm

I use stock from deviantart for the most part, and stitch images together from non-copyrighted (or creative commons) material. Admittedly there's the occasional image that's just too good to resist and I'll use it, but I try my best to avoid using one flat stock image for a banner background 'cause I feel like it's cheating. There are some premade backgrounds available on deviantart that people have made expressly for that purpose, though.

I was going to use the current banner as an example, but trying to go back and find the exact stock wasn't very fruitful. It was something like these - none are the actual stock, but they give you an idea of what I was looking for/type and quality of the images that I mushed together.
http://mourge-stawk.deviantart.com/art/ ... -107864223 <- main background (keyword: field/forest/something like that)
http://fuguestock.deviantart.com/art/Ru ... -244333469 <- I feel like I was looking for a WWII element and somehow the building popped up
Generic moon (not hard to find)
http://britstock.deviantart.com/art/Rai ... -352597572 <- railroad track (bottom right of the banner, kinda hard to see)
Then there were some generic clouds added in and I think that's it. I hope that's kinda helpful? >.<

Juliet kinda ninja'd me about dA, but I'm not going back to edit <.<
FAMILIA SUPRA OMNIA

our home was built with devil's stone, crafted by an angel's hands
raised to shelter a soldier; stranger to these hallowed lands

IGN: Vex
Lineage: de Draak
OOC: Lyssa

Postby Marlo » April 21st, 2015, 11:01 pm

Juliet wrote:I usually work with stock images so I get mine from the stock images section on deviantart or from photographer friends and then I just use photoshop to manipulate it however I want. But if you're looking for premade backgrounds, there's a ton of premade backgrounds that artists on dA make. dA is great for textures too! If you have tumblr, you can find a lot of resources that are for personal use as well as reference and learning material from the roleplayers there. :)

^^ All of this exactly!

Honestly, it's taken me a long time (read: four years) of searching and saving to get the arsenal of images I have now for textures. I use more abstract or geometric images -- which are super easy to get to; click here!

You can search via the categories it provides or search for something specific like, "light"

There are loads of great stock images on DA or pre made backgrounds, like A said.
OOC tags: #WritersAnonymous | #CAPSLOCKCLUB | Character Sheet
Banner Request Form | CLICK for examples of graphic work | Avatars
Marlo

IGN: Marlo
Lineage: Pace-Lokason
OOC: Aimee

Postby Juliet » April 21st, 2015, 11:06 pm

Vex wrote:I use stock from deviantart for the most part, and stitch images together from non-copyrighted (or creative commons) material.

This is really important. Even if it's for a tiny, non-commercial nook in the internet like RBC, artists put a lot of time and effort into what they make so it's good form to look for things you're actually allowed to use.
Juliet

IGN: Celine

Return to GFX & Art Gallery