On the Road to Nowhere (open)

An empty highway, you find yourself stranded and have no choice but to walk to the nearest hint of civilization, will you make it there?

On the Road to Nowhere (open)

Postby Romantae » March 10th, 2016, 7:59 pm

On the Road to Nowhere

The fire spit and hissed in its quick, aggressive ascent up the dry pasture grass. Roman was trapped. The flames licked ten, fifteen feet high in places, blocking his route out. There was an obvious, awful stench of gasoline fueling the fire's intentional path. He could see the mens' old pickup waiting on a dirt road worked through the pasture. Three men were in the truck bed. Another two sat in the cab as it idled. They had guns, and they were a safe hundred or so feet from the fires, propped on on the hill side while the valley burned around Roman.

There wasn't any choice — it was either face them, face the fire, or let himself burn. The man forced off his hoodie and wrapped his face best he could before charging through the charred, blackened grass. He felt heat tickled up his thighs. The cheap rubber bottoms of his boots began to melt. He heard the pickup's tires squeal behind him as they took off after the fleeing felon. He got out of the fire and into a muddied patch of land. He lost a boot in the gunk, and cut himself as he climbed over a rusty barbed fencing.

The pickup wailed on its horn and drove through the fence just as Roman reached the nearest road. He waved down a passing car, which went on by, then next an Ford truck with a white haired and mustached man driving with a hound dog in the passenger seat.

"A ride, please, I'm hurt, need a doctor," Roman said, panting hard. He slung his arm against the pickup door's window. His hair was charred. He felt burns on his legs and feet. God, he felt like he couldn't breathe.

The man told him to get in the back — didn't want a stranger in the cab — and took off down the highway. Roman laid flat against the cool metal truck bed just as he heard the mens' pickup roar by, horn blaring and one of the men screaming, "Get off the road!" as they passed by the old man on their search for Roman, oblivious to his laying in the back, a plastic blue tarp draped over his burnt, tired body.

The drive was slow. Roman still had his backpack with him, and used an old bottle of warm tap water to pour over a burn on his lower leg and hands. He hissed through the pain.

It was bout forty minutes later when Roman knocked an elbow against the back glass window, and the old man pulled it open.

"We're about twenty minutes longer," the old man said.

"Let me out here, I'm good now," Roman said.

They were on a long stretch of empty highway. Despite the old man's good deed, Roman couldn't trust him anymore than he already had, and didn't want the old man to get into trouble for him. Warily, Roman climbed out the back. He had one boot on, the other gone, and wiggled his charred sock on the road asphalt after the truck had driven off. He could see his toes in a hole in the white cotton.

The sun set late in the evening, and Roman hadn't made it five miles before giving in for the night. He found himself a solid spot of dry dirt in a ditch off the highway. He held a small flashlight between his teeth to check out the progression of his burns, which had only worsened as time progressed. There was a large patch of burnt, stinking skin on his left leg. The fire had partly melted the bottom and side of his right lower leg's prosthetic, which had been a mix of metal and plastic, the latter for the shoe-like design disguising the artificial foot piece.

He uncapped his water bottle again and poured what was left of it on the leg burn. He needed the relief, no matter how brief.

"Fuck me," he hissed. "Fucking hurts."

Roman laid out in the dirt and grass. He used his backpack as a pillow, and his burnt hoodie as a blanket. It was going to be a long, long night.

He hadn't seen a car for more than two hours now.

There wasn't anything to worry about out here, he assumed. Nothing except for the cold.
Romantae

Re: On the Road to Nowhere (open)

Postby brandi » March 14th, 2016, 3:49 am

It had been a quiet day. Brandi had been working in her pub on her computer, perfecting a design she was doing for an idea Seto had had. Taking a last drink of the tea her bartender and friend had given her before he went off duty to get ready for a date with her daughter, and after shutting down her computer she stood, all 5 feet even of her. Stretching her back, she set the cup on the bar for the one that just came on duty. She wasn't worried about leaving her computer there. the only person that may open it would be Seto to see what she had done. Looking at the time, and needing a break, she headed outside.

Getting to the stable, she only tied a lead around her Mustang pony, Thunder. Getting up on his back, she headed toward the front gate and the main road/Highway, instead of the rolling hills behind the B&B. She was dressed in jeans and a light sweater, with her boots on. There was still just enough light to the tattoo looking markings on the left side of her face and neck and on her left hand, as well as her hair being half white and half blonde - though the two looked more mixed with how she'd pulled her hair up.

Getting to the Highway, she turned toward the city, staying off the actual road, and let him run. It felt good to just go. Be free, even for just a little while, of work, and over-protectiveness, and everything. As they were running, she suddenly thought she smelled burnt flesh. Shaking it off, she started when Thunder suddenly jumped over something. Knowing he normally didn't have anything that needed to be jumped over when they rode out here, she reined him in and turned around.

Looking back down toward home, she noticed something, or was it someone, laying in the ditch. Getting off Thunders back, she left him where he was and walked back to check out what she saw. Getting closer, she noticed a man laying there. A burned man with what appeared to be a prosthetic leg. Raising an eyebrow, wondering about this since there wasn't any car around, she moved to stand at his feet. "Excuse me. You have an accident or something? Need some help?" She stuck her hands in her jeans pockets to hide them since they had started to glow at the site of his burns, to keep from trying to heal him without his permission.
~IGN: Brandi Stewart~

~Loving mom/sire~ ~Sigs by many~
brandi

IGN: Brandi Stewart
Lineage: Reynolds
OOC: Amy Hallmark

Postby Romantae » March 17th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Roman jumped awake. Immediately, in defense of himself, his hands went around the backpack that had been behind his head, and he heaved it in front of him as a last line of defense against the — ... woman?

Roman stopped. The man adjusted his pant legs, being sure to cover the wounds best he could. The itchy denim hurt the burn, but he didn't need a stranger dialing 911 for him.

"No, I'm fine," he said. "Just getting some sleep."

Even the ditch wasn't safe, he thought. Roman staggered slow to his feet. He dusted dirt off his ass and jeans and the back of his shirt. He was too exhausted to walk much farther without water or aid, but he wouldn't trust a strange woman and her pony to take care of him. He didn't trust anyone anymore, no matter how friendly they appeared.

"I'm moving on now," Roman added. He stuffed his fringed hoodie into his backpack, swung the piece over his shoulder by one strap, and walked around her and to the roadway. He walked with an awful limp. His vision was dizzy. He felt lightheaded and sick to his stomach, probably from the lack of real food over the past several days, not to mention his need for water. The pain only tripled his symptoms.

The man only made it about ten feet down the brake lane of the road before stumbling forward. His foot tripped him, and he caught himself on the pavement by his hands. The road was like one black wave, tapering in and out in his vision. He needed to lay down, and did, lowering himself to the road.

Just for a minute, he thought. Then I'll be okay.
Romantae

Postby brandi » March 18th, 2016, 5:12 am

Brandi watched as he brought his backpack around and then adjusted his pant legs. She almost wanted to laugh. Although she had the markings on her left side, she still looked mortal, human, enough as well as looking like she wasn't strong enough to really hurt anyone. She was only 5 feet tall and at moment weighed maybe 100 lbs. Granted, since she had Thunder with her, if someone tried to hurt her, he'd rear and buck and probably stomp on the person, but she couldn't see this man trying anything since he appeared injured.

When he said he was fine and just getting some sleep, she only raised an eyebrow. Especially when he staggeringly stood. She didn't have to read his mind to have the idea she wasn't trusted. She really didn't blame him, though she wondered what happened to make him be that way. If he had trusted her, she'd really wonder about him.

She only nodded when he then said he was moving on. She still stood there and watched him, turning as he went around her, as he limped away.

Watching him start to fall, she started toward his side, moving quick, but not so quick as to have him wonder how or why, at the moment. Kneeling next to him, she said "Yeah, sorry, not buying that your ok. I got a place down the road here I can take you too and get help for you. But, it's up to you. From where I'm standing, it doesn't look like you'll get the 15-20 miles it is to town easily, if at all, since there really isn't usually any traffic on this stretch of highway in the evenings. So, it's my place, and there will be other people around, or..." She left the rest dropped, figuring she didn't need to say it, just like she'd added about others being at her place so she didn't quite sound like a serial killer. She still hadn't touched him, but had taken her hands out of her pockets, after making sure they they looked normal.

brandi

Postby Romantae » March 18th, 2016, 5:05 pm

She didn't have to tell him. He knew he wouldn't make it much farther in his condition. He held himself up by his hands against the road pavement. Gravel dug into the burnt skin of his palms. Somehow, the pain helped keep him conscious and aware.

"You don't even got a car," he spat. He tried to stand up, but couldn't gather the strength and remained where he was — for the time being, at least.

"I'm not going nowhere on a damn horse."

It wasn't that he didn't trust her, personally. It was that he didn't trust anyone, or anything. Roman habitually skipped out on people, especially those showing the most kindness, sympathy, or compassion for him, because he felt they were the most dangerous. He never knew their real, honest intentions.

The man sat, his legs out in front of him. The backpack laid beside the road, a cheap knock-off of a name brand. Everything he owned was in that bag, which wasn't much: some clothes, a comb, a pair of cracked sunglasses, little other-things, unimportant but his. Roman could see the singed bottoms of his boot, and especially the melted end of his prosthetic. It wasn't easy to pass after he lost the boot, but with the pant leg dragged as low as it could he hoped to at least divert attention away from the artificial limb.

Roman tried to combat the idea of help, both aloud and to himself.

"Someone might drive by," he offered. "I don't want to bother you. I was on my way to my uncle's house. It's not far." He looked both ways down the stretch of highway, searching for headlights. When he didn't see any, he said, again, "Maybe someone might show."

But he started to grow doubtful. She might, truly and honestly, be his only hope at this point.

"I can walk."
Romantae

Postby brandi » March 18th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Brandi sat back on her heels. he was right, she didn't have a car with her and she didn't blame him for not wanting to ride. Hell, she didn't like the thought of putting him on Thunder's back.

She pulled out her phone and dialed a number. When she heard "Yeah, princess?" she gave a small smile, figuring there were people around. "Hey. Can you, or someone else drive down to where I am out here on the highway. It isn't far. And call Adam. Have someone here that I think will need Adam's help. And I only have Thunder."

He started laughing. "Yeah. It'll be me and/or Seto. See you soon"

Hanging up her phone, she smiled but shook her head. "I'm sorry, but I don't think you can really walk that easily with those burns. That phone call was for having someone at my place bring a car, and to call my personal doctor. No one will be driving by. And, I've lived out here for 10 years and unless your uncle has an invisible house, my place is the only one between here and town." She put her phone back in her pocket then looked up and down the highway. "Look, you got no reason to trust me, but all I want to do is help. In any way I can. The car will be here soon. It'll be a lot more dangerous out here then if you were to go with me." She purposefully neglected to say what else was out there, but then there was the sudden howl of a wolf. She'd looked up at the sound and down the road. Looking back at him, she only raised an eyebrow in question.
Last edited by brandi on March 19th, 2016, 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

brandi

Postby Romantae » March 18th, 2016, 9:29 pm

There was no escape now.

Roman gave in. He sat back and sighed. OK, this wasn't the plan. But then again, nothing had gone to "the plan" today, and there wasn't anything else he could but play along, play nice, and get through the night. Come morning, he would skip out before anyone would wake up and disappear, nameless and unknown.

He watched her closely as she chatted on the phone. Then after she hung up, he pulled his backpack closer to his body, possessively close. She caught him in the lie about his uncle, but he wouldn't admit it. She didn't need to hear the truth from him, even if she already knew it.

"If we have to," he said.

The man kept staring down the highway, waiting. Then he heard the wolf howl, and felt chills rise up his spine. It already was cold enough outside with them.

"Fine. Just for the night."
Romantae

Postby brandi » March 19th, 2016, 3:51 am

She watched him as he seemed to contemplate his choices. Brandi noticed he hadn't admitted his lie, but she didn't really care if he admitted he'd lied about an uncle. It was getting colder as the sun dipped further down and the three-fourths full moon started to rise.

At his "If we have to," she gave a small smile.

He still seemed to think some other car would come down the road. She knew the only two cars that would probably be driving by could be Adam going toward the B&b or Jim and Seto, because she had a feeling it would be them both, coming from the B&B. That was one of the reasons she'd decided to put build the B&B out here, no neighbors and generally no cars from dusk on.

She nodded when he said "Fine. Just for the night." She was just starting to stand when headlights hit her as a car pulled over to the side. Looking from the car to the man, and being able to sense it was both Jim and Seto without them getting out yet, she said to the man, as she finished standing "And here they are."

brandi

Postby Romantae » March 21st, 2016, 3:19 pm

Roman couldn't fight what had to be done. She'd roped him in, and there was no escape (not that he really needed to escape her — she was doing him a kindness that most people wouldn't). Roman hoped it wasn't too much of a play on sympathy. After all, he was sure she'd seen his leg, despite the obvious attempts to hide it. He'd need to either rework the expensive metal and plastic piece, or somehow manage to purchase a newly customized one. The first was more likely, for he didn't have much, if any, money. And the prosthetic wasn't something he could lift at a star, discreetly tucked under his jacket. These things were custom.

After the two men helped Roman into the car, he laid back, tired, weak, and wanting to sleep.

They might be part of them. Did you think of that, smartass? His mind said. Huh, did ya?

But he couldn't let the anxiety or worry take over. He had to trust in these strangers, just for the night. And most of all, he had to trust the woman following on horseback. After all, they were her help. And she'd been the one to find him.

The entire ride there, he wavered in and out of consciousness. Sleep came and went, on and off minutes of dozing before he jerked awake at their arrival at her place. Roman didn't say a word as they helped him inside (or with what little ways he allowed them to help) before the wounded, paranoid man was laid out on a couch.

Next up — a doctor. Roman hated doctors.

"I told you, I'm alright," he said. "Just need some sleep, and I'll be fine."

But sleep didn't heal burns, and, if the strangers persisted, he'd give in without problem.
Romantae

Postby brandi » March 21st, 2016, 10:49 pm

Brandi watched two of the three men she loved more than anything take the man she'd found inside and hopefully into the lobby. She hoped it was the lobby. She then nodded to Adam as he passed by her, going in. "I'll be right there," she called, turning Thunder back toward the stable.

After getting Thunder settled, she stepped into the lobby. She smiled when she saw the man laying on one of the lobby couches. "So?"

Adam shrugged. "Not sure yet, sweetheart. He's thinking he just needs some sleep. But he's burned badly. If you want, I can get someone here to get a new prosthetic for him too. Your lucky I carry stuff with me to treat burns besides, I know what you have around here too."

He could sense the guy was wary of him, and Adam didn't blame him. Looking at the man, he said "I'm just going to move your pant legs, see how bad it is." He didn't wait for a yay or nay. Moving his supplies closer, he got to work, shaking his head, wondering, but not asking. Looking at Brandi, he said "Come dial a number with my phone please." When she dialed and stuck it back between his shoulder and chin. "Hey, it's Doctor Stevens. I need you to meet me with refitting supplies at my cousins B&B, asap. I got someone here that will need a new leg." He listened for a minute then said "Nice, thanks. See you soon. We're in the lobby."

Grabbing his dropped phone, Brandi asked "Again, so?

"I've done what I can for starting the healing. My guy will be out here to help with a new leg for him, otherwise, we just gotta see what happens. They look pretty sever. You'll have to keep watch through the night."

She nodded. "Alright, thanks. You hanging around too?" At his nod, she smiled. Moving to Jim, she said "Thanks. Appreciate the help." He only smiled, nodded and kissed the top of her head.

Pulling a chair next to the man, she put it where he could see her easily. "What he did on your legs should help. Have you had anything to drink or eat lately?" She didn't feel she needed to add about having someone come get him a new leg. She didn't figure he had fell asleep while she and Adam were talking, or even while Adam had been working.

brandi

Postby Romantae » March 22nd, 2016, 9:53 am

Although he looked asleep — laying back, eyes shut, trying to put his mind elsewhere — she was right, again. He hadn't gone to sleep, and he'd listened to everything they said.

Roman didn't protest. He didn't fight. He let what had to be done be done, and pretended he was anywhere else. Maybe a nice beach somewhere, he thought. White sand. Blue waves. Some drinks, and cigarettes, and a woman beside him. But that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. He was in the presence of strangers — helpful, kind strangers, but strangers, nonetheless.

When he felt her pull up beside him, he turned his head and opened his eyes to look at her.

"I've ate," he lied. He felt like skin and bones beneath his shirt. Last time Roman looked in a mirror, it was like he was a stranger, too. He barely recognized his own body anymore. "I need some water, though." A pause. "If you can."

The smoke had made his throat burn. He doubted he could even hold down any food, even if he had asked for it. His stomach couldn't hold much.

"Just need some water and some sleep. I appreciate this, I really do."

It wasn't a lie that he was tired and needed to sleep. Hell, he was having a hard time keeping his eyes open already. He couldn't tell if it was pure exhaustion, a want to block out the pain with sleep, or if he really just needed to rest.
Romantae

Postby brandi » March 22nd, 2016, 3:20 pm

Brandi watched him as she sat there - wondering what was going through his mind. Seto and Jim being right there helped her from doing any peaking in his mind. It wasn't her place to see. She wanted to reach out to touch him, but she refrained.

When he opened his eyes to look at her, she gave a bit of a smile. She didn't think he'd have eaten lately, but she didn't question his comment about having eaten. At his request for water though, she nodded and looked back at Jim. When she looked back at the man, she could tell it had been hard to speak, probably from smoke damage.

When he said "Just need some water and some sleep. I appreciate this, I really do." she gave a bit more of a smile. "Water is coming. And, I'm glad to help." When she felt a hand on her shoulder, she stopped and looked back. Seeing Jim, she smiled. When he motioned behind her, she looked over her other shoulder and nodded.

Standing, she moved out of the way so Jim could help the man drink while Adam's specialist did what he needed to for the man's leg. She knew Jim would help reduce the man's pain as the water was drank, he was good that way. And it would only feel like the man wanted to just sleep and rest with some ease. She stayed close, but out of the way, watching and feeling a bit protective.

brandi

Postby Romantae » March 23rd, 2016, 1:10 pm

He was uncomfortable around strangers, but, for one, it felt kind of nice to be catered to. It was a foreign experience, and one he'd likely never experience again, but for the time being it was nice.

"Thanks," he told her when the water was brought. He drank slow. It hurt to swallow. He hated that he still smelled like smoke — not the usual stench of cigarette smoke, but an overwhelming cloud of naturally burnt smell, like a bonfire on his skin. Maybe before he skipped out, he could bother them for a quick shower; buff the grease out of his hair, the dirt off his face and body. Just the thought alone of a cool, long shower soothed him.

When he'd have enough of the water, Roman turned his head and relaxed back into the couch. Quickly, sleep overcame him and he rested.
Romantae

Postby brandi » March 24th, 2016, 5:01 am

She was still enough of an introvert that she could tell when someone was uncomfortable, and this man was. Though, he seemed to, she wasn't sure enjoy was the right word, and she really couldn't think of the English word for what she wanted, so maybe, tolerate, having everyone take care of him. She could relate. Though, for some reason, she felt protective over this man, she knew how much she hated people hovering, wanting to do for her, trying to protect and take care of her. Even if at times it was a relief to let everyone else do.

She could smell the smoke on him, and knew it would get into everything, but she didn't care. She wanted to make sure he was going to be fine. She was curious about his story, if he was willing to tell his story. But she knew people held secrets, didn't like to trust.

At his "Thanks", she smiled and nodded. She let Jim hold him up and give him the water until the man had enough. When she saw Jim help the man back to a relaxed position, she smiled her thanks as she watched the man finally fall asleep. She then watched the guy Adam had called get to work. As the man they'd brought in slept, the one Adam called in did what measuring and checking of the prosthetic leg that he could while it was on the man. She then watched as the specialist started to remove the prosthetic and everything under it when he suddenly hit a snag. Calling Adam over, the two men worked the final piece off, which looked to Brandi as if it was melted on to the man. She then watched them cut the piece and gently remove it, looking like it was pulling some skin away with it.

"These burns will have to heal before the new leg I'm making can be fitted to him. No charge to you all, or him, since I'm going to guess he didn't plan on having the one he's got get burned/melted. I'll get to work on the new one, what I can. Let me know when I can start to fit it on him, please." He looked at Brandi, got a smile and a nod before he left.

Sighing, Adam got his supplies back out and went to work on the burns on the limb, hoping there wasn't to much damage and the man had the strength to heal. He knew only time would tell, though he couldn't say how much time at the moment.

brandi

Postby Romantae » April 16th, 2016, 7:30 pm

The burns were beyond bad — they could have deadly, had infection set in. But he'd been lucky when she found him. His skin peeled. The pain was terrible, but sleep allowed him to get through it. After all that could be done was done, and the wound was patched, he slept for a while. His body needed it. It was a nice, long, dead-like sleep. He barely moved, didn't stir, or snore, or make a fuss.

It had been days since he slept.

Where he'd come from, still a mystery to the woman and those working with her, was a mystery. But wherever it was, it hadn't been good: He was malnourished and thin with dark purple bags under his eyes for days and days of sleepless nights. If she had asked him last time he slept, he wouldn't have been able to tell her (for not even he knew when). When he'd had a real meal last? It was the same story. He'd survived off water and bread for too long. Not the good bread, either; stale, molding pieces.

When Roman woke, he still was on the couch. His head hurt. His throat hurt, too. He started to cough upon awakening, and he sat up.

"Water ... Water, please."
Romantae

Postby brandi » April 17th, 2016, 6:40 am

Brandi sat in a nearby chair and watched him sleep. She wondered if he'd been up for days before she'd found him. She found herself wondering about this man again. Who he was, where'd he'd come from, and how had he found himself caught in a fire. Every once in a while, she'd check the dressings to make sure they were staying put. Adam had told her he wasn't out of the woods yet, but the sleep would help.

As she'd watched over him, she and Jim had briefly talked on if they should give the man an apartment. She had said, and Adam had agreed, that she didn't want him moved yet. She wanted him to wake where he'd fallen asleep, since she wanted to forge a trust with the man. And she didn't want the dressings to get jarred during a move. They'd decided that when the man woke, if he was agreeable, they'd move him to the apartment Ken, Brian, and Jim shared.

She also wondered when he'd last eaten. Looking at Jim she said "Would you have George fix a straight chicken broth with some fresh bread, please. Maybe he'll eat some when he wakes."

Jim only nodded and left the room. He wasn't gone long. Coming back over to her, he said "He'll bring it out when the broth is ready."

Just as she nodded, they heard coughing followed by "Water ...Water, please." from the couch. Looking over, as Jim grabbed the glass with water and moved to the man, Brandi smiled. As she watched Jim help him sit up again, she said "Glad you're awake. If you're hungry, I have some broth and bread coming for you. You may not want to talk to much yet though. If it doesn't hurt to much and you'd like some broth and bread, a nod is fine." She stopped when she saw Adam come up next to her.

Sitting on the arm of the chair, Adam didn't say anything yet. Only waited, though his face looked very serious.
Last edited by brandi on May 27th, 2016, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandi

Postby Romantae » May 1st, 2016, 3:19 pm

Roman opened his mouth again to speak, but pain radiated through his throat and he stopped himself. He was thankful for the help with the water, and bent in to drink it slow. His head felt dizzy. He wanted to lay down again, sleep some more ... or sleep forever, he thought.

Roman knew he was sick beyond the burns; beyond the smoke, the exhaustion, the prior starvation he had faced. He'd felt sick for more than a month now, but couldn't explain what. It ranged from fever, throwing up, and sometimes he had blacked out completely. After all the torture he'd suffered, there was no doubt in him that he'd either contracted something or was finally succumbing to a simple, human sickness.

"Food's ... Food's good," he managed.

He laid back down again. His face was hot. His hair, uncombed and dark, stuck to his tanned face. He wasn't sure how much he could stomach, but he knew he needed to eat something, and if they were willing to feed him, alongside housing and heal him, he wouldn't say no.

He wasn't in the position to.

"I'm sick," Roman mumbled. "I need a ... "

He hated hospitals; they'd find him there. He didn't have any identification to give them anyway, if he did go. And that always brought on questions Roman didn't, and couldn't, truthfully answer.

He didn't finish. His eyes shut. He felt so tired all of a sudden, and felt himself drifting toward sleep again.

I don't want to sleep, he thought, fighting it.

I'm not sure I'll wake up this time.
Romantae

Postby brandi » May 1st, 2016, 8:34 pm

Brandi looked at Adam as the man drank with Jim's help. Something didn't feel right to her, but she wasn't sure what at the moment. She was doing her best to keep from reading his mind to find out what was going on. Feeling a hand on her right shoulder, she looked over at Seto and smiled. Like Jim, Seto was her buffer to help her remember not to read minds.

When the man said "Food's ... Food's good," she started to look over at him with a smile when she noticed George come in with a tray. Getting up from the chair, she took the tray and smiled at the Haitian. "Thanks George."

George smiled at her before he leaned down to kiss her cheek. "Anything for you chérie." Nodding over the the man, George added "Would you like me to stay and help? John is working with me tonight."

Brandi started to say "That'd be..." to George when she looked over at the man. Starting to turn back to Adam, she saw Jim give a motion then sign to her that the man was hot. They then heard him say "I'm sick," Roman mumbled. "I need a ... "

Adam was over to the man in an instant. The man's eyes were shut and Adam couldn't be sure if he'd fallen back asleep. he was hoping the man was still awake enough to hear him. "I need you to try to stay awake if you can. At least long enough to have some broth. I am going to carry you up to one of the apartments. If you were about to say you need a hospital, you don't. I can treat you here just as easily. Brandi brought you here instead of taking you to a hospital for a reason, and I'm not going to question why." He easily picked the man up, finding he was lighter than he probably should have been, and looked over at Brandi. "Where, sweetheart?"

She thought quickly. she didn't want to put him in with Jim, Ken, and Bri now, so she said "Family wing, top floor. Mat's apartment since I know he isn't in there and I have no idea when he'll be home." She only looked over at Jim, who gave a nod. "Jim will go up with you to show you which apartment and to help with the elevator. George and I won't be far behind."

Adam nodded as he and Jim headed out. Looking at the man, Adam said "I know you want to sleep, but I'm gonna need your help to know if anything, besides the burns, hurts, and to let me know what symptoms you've had, are having, and possibly some other questions. Any questions I ask, I only ask that you be as truthful as you can. Anything you say will go no farther then us in the room. And there is some soup for you to try to eat."

Getting to the apartment, Adam took him into the bedroom and laid him down. He nodded at Jim to stay then pulled a thermometer out of the bag Jim had carried up for him. Adam frowned. The man was running a high fever. Looking up at Jim, he said as he heard Brandi and George come into the apartment, "Find me however many towels you can in here and get them wet with cool water. Let's see if we can cool him down some."

Stepping into the bedroom, Brandi looked at the man on the bed with concern. "Just wanted to let you know George and I are here. Since it doesn't look like he's ready to try eating, I'm going to put the tray in the fridge to heat up when he is ready. so you can do what you need to, I'm going to wait in the living room. Yell for George if you need him to help."

Adam nodded. As soon as she stepped out of the room, Adam got Jim to help him sit the man up when Jim returned from the bathroom. While Jim held him, Adam took the man's shirt off, followed by his pants then put the man under the covers, making sure the burn dressings were all still in place. Before he pulled the top sheet and blanket over the man, he placed the wet towels on all exposed skin, except on the burn dressings. Satisfied, he pulled the covers over the man. "Are you awake enough to talk to me" Adam asked.

brandi

Postby Romantae » May 26th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Roman was sicker than he let on. Probably an infection, something garnered from his earlier escapades with his tormenters. He'd been cut, and bled, and re-cut again so many times, it was impossible to count. The scars were clear across his body; scattering his chest, and neck, and back; thin white marks up and down his legs, his arms; a living testament to the tortures he had faced, not only by humans but vampires and other creatures alike.

His head was reeling. He wanted to sleep. His vision wavered in and out. Once finally in bed, he laid back a minute, resting. Then Adam was speaking to him, and he wasn't sure how much of a conversation he could hold, but he could try.

"I'm just dying, Doc. Leave me out road-side and the fucking birds can eat me," he said, followed by an array of coughing. He turned and used his arm to cover up the cough. Roman rubbed at his face. He badly was sweating, and it stuck to his dark hair and skin in sheets.

Distantly, he could hear the whine of a truck. Or two or three. He wondered how far from the highway they were.

Then came the loud wailing of truck horns as a trio of large black pickups converged outside the building. The group had tripled in size, from the small hunting party after him to two more trucks full of four or five men each, all heavily armed and, unmistakably, human. And they were yelling for Roman to come out.

"Just let the kid go, we ain't gonna hurt him," one of the men taunted over a vehicle loud speaker, similar to those in police cars. While parked, their engines revved. Their truck lights were on bright, pointed toward the entrance, waiting.

Roman forced himself to sit up. He swayed then regained his balance.

"I've got to go out there. This isn't none of yours' problems. It's mine. And I have to deal with it alone."

Even if that meant going back.
Romantae

Postby brandi » May 27th, 2016, 7:24 am

Brandi had heard the trucks long before they'd turned into the driveway. Her eyes went to molten silver when the horns sounded outside the front doors. When someone started to use a vehicle loudspeaker, she growled and in Rakata she said a few choice words.

Stepping to the bedroom door, she heard "I've got to go out there. This isn't none of yours' problems. It's mine. And I have to deal with it alone." Shaking her head, she said "I'm sorry to disagree with you, but no. You don't. I don't care what it was you did to make them come after you, or even where you had been before I saw you on the road outside. To me, that's in the past, even if it was only earlier tonight. Those fuckers brought it to my door so it isn't just your problem. Besides the fact you are in no shape to go out there and face them, if you go out, I have no doubt they'll hurt you. No matter what they said."

Jim looked at her, knowing the look, said "You have an idea, Princess?"

Nodding, Brandi's grin looked evil. "Besides calling for more firepower, hell yeah." She looked at Adam's patient sitting there in the bed. "I have no problem killing every one of them out there, but I'd like to try something else first. If you are agreeable, I want to tell them you're dead." To be on the safe side, she'd already sent a text message to Vishous asking him to have her brother and whoever else be there asap because she had trouble there at the B&B. She then sent one to Rehv, asking him to come help too. She already knew Jim, Ken, and Brian would be out there with her just like she knew Seto wouldn't since Seto didn't like weapons at all.

Adam stayed close to his patient. He had been about to disagree with the man when Brandi had stepped to the door and disagreed. Nodding, he said "I have to agree with Brandi. You are in no shape to go out there and even if you did, they most likely would hurt you, no matter what they're saying. And personally I think you should let her tell them you're dead. They won't be able to step foot inside without being shot at. IN fact I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't already at least 2 people at the entrance doors ready to take out any of them that try to come in." Like Brandi, Adam didn't care what the man had done, but he wasn't going to let anyone remove his patient. The men outside would be in for a rude awakening if they dared try.

brandi

Next

Return to The highway to Hell